Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
sound and video not synchronized
06-04-2014, 12:16 AM
sound and video not synchronized
Recording a video with a mic input using the Advanced Video Capture demo. When I play the video back with media player the sound and video are not in sync.

What am I doing wrong?
Quote this message in a reply
06-05-2014, 12:20 AM
RE: sound and video not synchronized
Is the video way shorter than the audio? If so put a VLChangeRate in front of your recording-component and set it to the desired or expected framerate. It's a bit of a workaround but this issue exists for some time already.

Regards,
Dave
06-18-2014, 07:01 PM
Sorry been away for a week.
Actually it looks like the video is much longer than the audio. It seems to have a delay after the call to VLDSVideoLogger1->Close() the audio stops but the video isn't stoping with the audio.

I will play with VLChangeRate and see what happens.

Thanks

Update... Adding VLChangeRate didn't do anything, still same issue. Not that it matters but have the same issue with both an NTSC and a PAL camera. This system is using an Osprey Video Captuire board for video and the computer sound card for audio. I have looked at all the settings I could play with for the video card's DirectShow interface and nothing helped.
06-19-2014, 06:20 PM
Ok, and which version of the labs do you use?
06-21-2014, 06:51 PM
This project is using 5.0.1 with Builder-5, the target is Windows XP and no reason to port it to XE5.
06-22-2014, 05:01 AM
Perhaps add a VLVideoFormat and try some different formats, it's hard to test because of all the outdated stuff.

Regards,
Dave
06-22-2014, 08:04 PM
Thanks for trying, wasn't sure if this was something that was common and had a standard fix, guess not.

Playing with it, looks to me like the audio is being recorded real time but the video is being recorded at 1/2 speed. I'm missing something simple as I know it was working properly in the past. Something changed but like an idiot I hadn't tested this particular function in quite some time. Wondering if it was when I updated VideoLab from 4.5 to 5.0.1??
06-23-2014, 07:06 PM
OK, did a little more research, went back into my archives and found a project that was built with 4.5, ran the exe and it worked just fine. I rebuilt the project without changing anything (Except it now has 5.0.1 installed) and the problem is back. The only difference is the version of VideoLab.

I know this is old and don't expect any real help with 5.0.1 but thinking my solution is to go back to 4.5. Problem is I don't see a way to remove 5.0.1 so I can reinstall 4.5. What would be the best way to revert back to 4.5?
Looks like I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place, discovered I need some of the added features in 5.01 but need to get the video capture working which I haven't been able to do in 5.0.1. Not sure what to do from here, it would be a major undertaking to port the app to XE5 which I shouldn't have to do.. URRGH.....
06-24-2014, 09:42 AM
Well.. i've been porting stuff too from builder 6 to XE2 or later and a lot had to be changed for the bigger projects but in the end for a rather big project it took me maybe half an hour to get it compiled again. Find & Replace helps a lot, starting with a clean project too -> New project, remove the unit then add your units to the project. The '_TCHAR maps to' project option set to 'Char' helps too.
06-25-2014, 01:47 AM
Wished it was as easy as you make it sound, this project is using several 3rd party libraries that would be a pain to duplicate, update or replace.

Hard to believe this didn't show up in 5.0.1 before and was either fixed or some work around found. Do you hapen to know what the last version of VideoLab is that would work in BCB5?

<Edit>
Boyan confirmed 5.0.1 was the last version that would work with BCB5 so I am stuck between a rock and a hard place. Everything works great except the VideoLogger component which is taking a 30fps stream and converting it to a 15fps file. Still find it hard to believe this issue didn't show up when 5.0.1 was released and nobody knows how to get around it.