Thread Rating:
  • 0 Votes - 0 Average
From VLScreenCapture to web ... any tips?
12-20-2011, 06:49 AM
From VLScreenCapture to web ... any tips?
Now that I have my VLScreenCapture working, I need to figure out the logger part. (VLAVILogger? VLAFSLogger? VLDSVideoLogger?)

I need to log to video files periodically, and either stream those files to a web site (so clients watch it like a live feed), or, stream directly from the VLScreenCapture to the web site.

This is entirely new territory for me, so I thought I would troll for suggestions on which way to go from here before I start chasing the wrong rabbits down the wrong holes.

thanks as always

ted
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Quote this message in a reply
12-20-2011, 07:30 AM
RE: From VLScreenCapture to web ... any tips?
Not sure what your setup will be but perhaps have a peek at the DirectShow\VideoBroadcast demo.

Regards,
Dave
12-20-2011, 07:41 AM
Dave,

What/where is the "DirectShow\VideoBroadcast demo"? I can't find anything like that in the group of demos that VL installed.

The setup, as it stands today, is my desktop PC producing DVD sized video, at 15 frames/sec, that will go to either one or two web server URLs.

(12-20-2011 07:30 AM)Dave Wrote:  Not sure what your setup will be but perhaps have a peek at the DirectShow\VideoBroadcast demo.

Regards,
Dave
12-20-2011, 08:45 AM
Guess that demo is Builder only then, and local server or?

Dave
12-20-2011, 10:01 AM
Remote server(s).

My web master is now telling me we'll probably go with a simple webcam type setup and ftp the video files later.

A much more important problem at the moment is figuring out the local logging problem. What I have with VLAVILogger works but the files are *huge*. Is there a compression filter I should add?

There's got to be a way to use VLDSVideoLogger to go straight to web-ready .mp4 files (which is what I'd prefer) but that remains a deep mystery.

-ted

(12-20-2011 08:45 AM)Dave Wrote:  Guess that demo is Builder only then, and local server or?

Dave
12-20-2011, 10:10 PM
You can use compression with a VLDSVideoLogger, check the Video and Audio Compression properties.

Regards,
Dave
12-20-2011, 11:32 PM
I've tried that already, but I haven't figured out what I'm getting from the TVLDSVideoLogger, and I'm not getting consistent behavior from it. (For example, this morning I'm getting no file from it at all.)

What is it compressing to? WMV? MPEG-4? Does the filename I assign mean anything?

(12-20-2011 10:10 PM)Dave Wrote:  You can use compression with a VLDSVideoLogger, check the Video and Audio Compression properties.

Regards,
Dave
12-20-2011, 11:49 PM
Properties of the VideoLogger, make sure VideoCompression->Enabled is checked/true. Above that is (TVLDSVideoCompressionItems), click the little button on the right there and you should get a new window probably listing one coded already. Select that one and check the object inspector, you can select a codec and set parameters for the selected codec there.

Regards,
Dave
12-21-2011, 01:00 AM (This post was last modified: 12-21-2011 01:42 AM by Ted Wagner.)
Thanks Dave -- this was helpful -- I had done these steps before but it just occurred to me that the decoder name indicates the file/compression type; in this case, wmv.

So I specified .wmv in my file name, ran my application, and I get a .wmv file that seems to play nicely, but it is still very large (800M for less than 20 seconds), and when I check the file's Properties | Details, there are no entries under "Video", it's all blank. So I am suspicious of the product I'm getting with this...

(12-20-2011 11:49 PM)Dave Wrote:  Properties of the VideoLogger, make sure VideoCompression->Enabled is checked/true. Above that is (TVLDSVideoCompressionItems), click the little button on the right there and you should get a new window probably listing one coded already. Select that one and check the object inspector, you can select a codec and set parameters for the selected codec there.

Regards,
Dave

Another update:

I've been having difficulty getting a quality capture -- I'm playing an MPEG video in the screen I'm trying to capture, and whether I use a TVLDSVideoLogger or TVLAVILogger, the resulting video file has goofed colors, as though a color distortion filter was added.

Same (bad) results on different computers...

(12-20-2011 11:49 PM)Dave Wrote:  Properties of the VideoLogger, make sure VideoCompression->Enabled is checked/true. Above that is (TVLDSVideoCompressionItems), click the little button on the right there and you should get a new window probably listing one coded already. Select that one and check the object inspector, you can select a codec and set parameters for the selected codec there.

Regards,
Dave
12-21-2011, 02:12 AM
So you play a video and then screen-capture that again?